Derek Gillies Principal Coach
I first started to train at Flux in April of 2011 after being involved in a variety of athletics and coaching all my life. I started at the University of Regina and studied three years of Kinesiology and obtained my Personal Training Specialist Certification through Can Fit Pro. I then went on to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from the University of Regina. I never thought I would be teaching something I truly love, “Human Movement” as a career. Flux has given me the opportunity to do so and our community is very welcoming and open to new ideas, concepts and ways in which to move.
I am drawn to the idea of “Human Movement” as it relates to exercise and call Flux my home. Over the past few years I have completed a number of workshops, trainings and certifications. For example:
- I’ve completed workshops with Ido Portal and Odelia Goldschmidt;
- Fighting Monkey with Josef Frucek and Linda Kapetanea;
- The Varbanov School of Olympic Weightlifting certification;
- I am a green belt capoerista under Amir Solsky, Mestre Parafina of Capoeira Los Angeles;
- I have worked extensively with Ryan Ford, owner and founder of Apex Parkour;
- Am currently enrolled in the Poliquin Level 1 Performance Specialist program.
Parkour has been a passion of mine over the past few years. I love how Parkour is athletic where you learn to run, jump, swing, climb, and fall safely. EVERYONE of all ages can do Parkour. It provides you with the opportunity to use your mind, be creative and move in ways typically outside of your normal realm of possibility. As a teacher I enjoy working with all ages, especially kids and youth.
I challenge you to try Flux School of Human Movement yourself and see how different we really are. You will become an adaptive mover at Flux, and a specialist in “Human “Movement”. I look forward to working with you and will challenge you to become a better mover.